You are not logged in.

× Racing
Let's discuss everything to do with time trials (club events and open events), road races, triathlon and duathlon, cyclocross, mountain bike races - starting times, problems on the course, entries, experiences etc

How windy is too windy for TT on deep sections

• Ruth
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Sep 2017 10:47 #1 by Ruth
So I've borrowed Janes TT bike for some marginal gains, but the weather for Saturday is forecasting winds of 15mph with gusts up to 29mph.
Do I go on the 90mm wheels???
Its the F14/25 Wrestlingworth course

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2017 22:53 #2 by Simon.R
Wind on that course tends to blow on your back from GMorden to Shingay and in your face from the roundabout to the crossroads so crosswinds not normally a problem, although the downhill after the start can be a bit tricky. That said, a deep front wheel can take you by surprise anywhere if you're not careful so I'd be minded to use something shallower (on the front) if in doubt.

Good luck

• Ruth
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Sep 2017 09:07 #3 by Ruth
Thanks Simon
I went up there last night in the rain and wasn't too twitchy, Ill just have to man up and go for it!!!
I know the course well so that will help

More
06 Sep 2017 15:41 #4 by Simon.R
good luck; and take care at the crossroads, the potholes are so big they could probably swallow you whole!

• Ruth
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Sep 2017 15:45 #5 by Ruth
lol, there is a clean line (if you mean the Wrestlingworth cross roads) its just knowing where it is!!!! :blink:

More
06 Sep 2017 16:26 #6 by CambourneMark
Replied by CambourneMark on topic Re: How windy is too windy for TT on deep sections
Ruth, I know some people seem to cope better than others on a deep front wheel, I think it probably depends partly on bike set up and the wheel itself, the modern wider ones are meant to be more stable, I find it a bit scary going down the hill on that course in the wind on a 90mm front to the extent that I go slower than I would on a 50mm but possibly grab a bit of that back on the straights.
Have a good ride
Mark G

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Go to top